Saturday 28 March 2009

Snowboarding: One Last Photo...


" In 1985 Meadow opened its slope sided Medical Center providing the same medical care and treatment as one could receive in a Portland emergency room. The medical center is staffed by professional doctors, nurses and EMT's, and boasts state of the art technology, including an x-ray machine to help doctors in their examination and diagnosis of injuries"

And that medical centre is where I spent the afternoon of our first day on Mount Hood! 

After my rock star morning, and a diet lunch I was ready to take on the mountain once again. Lora and I headed for the ski lift, this time without instructor. After some struggling at the bottom of the lift, we travelled up the mountain separately and then promptly fell on our asses as we dismounted. We struggled to the top of the slope, and continued to fall over every 5 metres until we reached the bottom of the slope. Jeeeeez... it was cold and tiring!

2nd attempt. This time I really fell off the ski lift hard and BOUNCED my head (in new helmet) on the ice! ouch! This time the descent was a little better, I mananged a few metres before my first crash. Then I got right back up and it started... I was boarding, I was riding the mountain... I felt in control, I was moving at speed down the slope... Woo Hoo! 

Then I was moving at more speed. Then more. I soon realised that I was not confident enough to turn right and left at these speeds so I guess I would continue on my STRAIGHT LINE down the mountain, collecting speed as I went. By the time I was 3/4 of the way down the slope I was beginning to panic a little about stopping... hmm.

Easy right? Turn your right knee outwards, dig in your heels and stop. Easy.
At the bottom of the slope that is exactly what I did, and the board did stop successfully. I however did not.

WIPEOUT!

I think I first landed on my right ribs (all air I have ever breathed was removed from my body on impact). I continued to flip and this time landed on my left arm, before one more turn to bring me to a stop in a heap on the snow, knees twisted in a way that is just not natural!

My first thought was that my lungs were punctured, due to the fact that there was no air left in my body (winded)... then the pain in my arm began to pulse! I could feel it was damaged in 2 places. Problem is now, I can't shout because I can't breathe. And I can't move to tell anyone either... and there is a ridiculous blizzard so I'm not convinced they can see me either. Maybe I would just get covered over and have to stay there.

An off duty ski patrol found me on the floor and administered first aid. This basically meant that he had to let snow inside my jacket and poke me in the spine. I was FREEZING! In a state of Shock, Hypothermia and Hyperventilation they moved me (on a sledge) to the medical centre on the mountain. 

Oops.

No comments: