Thursday 26 March 2009

New Friends

Let me introduce you to Jack and Polly. 
One afternoon in Florida, I randomly stopped my rental car at a fishing shack on the west coast in need of a diet coke break. Alongside the shack were 3 or 4 fishing boats, with the crews quietly cleaning down their equipment, some noisy gulls, trying their luck, hoping to catch some scraps from the boats, 2 or 3 massive Pelicans just basking in the morning sun, 4 small picnic tables where a lady was making fishing hooks, and another lady, sitting in the sun, sketching the whole scene. 

I ended up sitting there in the peace and quiet for some time, making notes in my book, doodling and watching the scene evolve on the ladies easel in front of me. After an hour or so, I begun sketching the lady herself. It's not something I normally do, sketch strangers sitting in front of me, I guess she kinda inspired me! When she turned around and spoke to me, I was sooooo embarrassed! How weird is it that im sitting there drawing a picture of her?! well she caught me, and she thought it was cool.. we talked a while, I gave her my picture and she invited me for lunch.

Let me be clear,  I am not in the habit of having lunch with strangers, or in fact with pensioners, but this is a philosophy I think i will try to adopt in the future.  Long story short, she invited me to eat locally at a small cafe, with her and her husband Jack.. amazing! (Blackened catfish sandwich and slaw in case you are interested)

Without intending to insult any of my American (or Ameripean) friends, my assumption was that this old couple were going to be an obnoxious, loud, U-S-A couple... how wrong could I be. They were the most intelligent, well spoken, well travelled couple ever.. I just listened and learned from 2 amazing people for the rest of the afternoon... I think the best day by far of my whole trip to the Sunshine state! 

Thanks for a great day Jack and Polly!






No comments: