Thursday 26 March 2009

Holidays away from home...



Surely not I hear you cry?!!!

I decided that in 2008 Christmas and NY was going to be a little different. With someone new and important in my life this time round, the holidays were destined to be different! 

I rented a car, loaded it with every 'Rom Com' DVD I own, threw in some hiking boots and an extra 'Outdoor' scarf and headed up the A1 from Newcastle to pick up Frenchie in Edinburgh!!! YAY Scooooootland :)

We spent a week in a farm cottage in the middle of Perthshire, where we celebrated Christmas protecting ourselves from the freezing temperatures.. before packing down the Norwegian Pine and heading cross country to the west coast. We spent the night in a small fishing town called Plockton, before heading off on a mammoth drive around the Isle of Skype (I know). From there to a small town outside of Fort William, for a good nights sleep before tackling a section of the 'West Highland Way' . From Fort William we hit the road for the final drive back to the East coast, back to one of my favourite places... Edinburgh!

You have not experienced NY Eve until you have celebrated it in Scotland. Hogmany was spent in the shadows of Edinburgh castle, with a concert in the park. A whole new (sober) Hogmany celebration.. you know what. I had the best time, although midnight looks a whole lot different without beer goggles!!! 

Overall a great 2 weeks... I have grown up less than 100 miles from the Scottish border, and it has taken me this long to really appreciate how beautiful Scotland is. Some walking, some pub lunches, some small market towns, A lot of miles and a lot of great memories.  

I heart Scotland

No comments: